Sunday, October 5, 2014

1989: What A Year In Football (For Me)

I like many men a fan of football. I lock myself in my apartment and if anyone calls me in the middle of a Philadelphia Eagles game it had BETTER BE IMPORTANT! Oh yea, I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and spent time as a sports writer at a local Christian college. You may be confused then by the title of this “article”. Let me explain, I LOATHE the Dallas Cowboys and it is considered sac religious to even mention a Texas football team in these here parts. Alas, I make an exception in this case. I used to live in the state of Texas. So I became a fan of the college football team named the Aggies. (Texas A & M University) They are the team that lives, breathes, and dies football. This team even has ‘Midnight Yell Practices’. (The name is self-explanatory.) EVERY evening during the college football season the ENTIRE student body of Texas A & M University drops what they are doing and walks down to their home stadium named Kyle Field and screams their heads off for the next few hours. In Texas football is a religious experience. In Texas you are “allowed” to skip church on Sunday, just as long as you watch football that weekend. It does not matter if it is a high school football team in your back yard on Friday; a beloved college football team such as Texas A & M, Baylor, or even if desperate those UGLY texas longhorns. (YOU HAVE TO BE REALLY DESPERATE to cheer for them!) The Tennessee Titans who once played as the Houston Oilers would be a better Texas football team to cheer for then the UGLY, DEPLORABLE, longhorns. I am a former stepbrother of not one but two Texas A & M graduates. Our parents may have gotten divorced. I may have even lost my mother who was married to thus aforementioned A & M father but the Aggies are alive in my heart forever. I even purchased a personalized Texas A & M T- shirt via the Internet that was complimented in a nearby coffee house from an adorable young Barista with the same name as my mother. Most people had A Big celebration a decade later. You know they partied like it’s 1999. I decided to get things done ahead of time. I partied an entire decade earlier. People always tell me that I am far ahead of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment