Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Christianity in Many Ways is Insulting

Is that title an attention grabber or what? Before I offend you let me first point out that I recently spent a little over one year, on staff on a newspaper at a local Christian university. I have been involved in many churches, in several states and have considered myself “saved’ since high school. I am now 39 years old. In my first paragraph alone you see controversy. The term ‘saved’ is extremely insulting. If Christians are humble, quiet, and non-reserved. The term saved therefore is outrageously insulting. I have found that certain beliefs that are devout to some churches are considered blasphemy to another church just down the street or perhaps right next door. This is sad! If God is the God of “all people great and small” then why are so many people offended by what is seen as “Gospel Truth” in one building, yet cursed, and ridiculed in another? For my next point let’s look at the two biggest holidays on the Christian / American pop culture calendar. These holidays are Easter and Christmas. Every pastor I know questions our church or society as to the date of the first. (aka Easter) They always say something along the line of… “Simply throw a dart at the calendar to determine when Easter is.” The date and celebration of the second and better known of these aforementioned holidays (aka Christmas) is even more absurd. It is thrown into the calendar to counter act Hanukah. If you ask most Jewish people Hanukah is not a major religious holiday. It is simple “recognized because of the fact that is around the same time of year a Christmas. December 25th to me is simply now the day after my birthday. If our (American) calendar starts off with the birth of Christ then how the yuck is Christmas (aka the birth of Christ) celebrated one the first day of the 52nd week of a 52 week calendar. Does not B.C. stand for Before Christ? I mentioned before I have been a part on many churches and they all point out that this is to counter acts an already existing “more evil” religious holiday that already existed at the time the date was appointed to the calendar. Is that not like the TV adds or commercials that are attempting to point out that they are they are “Better than the Leading Brand!” If your product so much better should that product not be the leading brand? It is just a thought. The last and perhaps biggest peeve I have about Christianity is that. Only Christians go to Heaven. How deplorable is this concept! If you take the terms “Heaven” and “Hell” out of the Bible or Church. The first is always a compliment the second is forever an insult. If Christians are supposed to be humble, considerate, and loving towards all then is this very concept not the biggest oxymoron in human history. In case you have not figured it out yet my mother brought me up to question authority. My sister to this day reinforces the concept of doing your own research and don’t simply take what you are told for granted. If you want to be an individual on to yourself then put your money where your mouth is and don’t take ANYTHING lying down.

No comments:

Post a Comment